Built in 1827, this Federal-style home contains superb examples of American furniture, china, and decorative assesories made in the 1700's & 1800's.

The Stone House Museum
Home of the Belchertown Historical Association
Belchertown, Massachusetts    1903 - 201
3

   
                  Home   SiteMap 
   

  
Programs
& Events
  
 

About the BHA and Belchertown 

The Belchertown Historical Association was founded in 1903.  The organization is managed by a Board of Trustees, elected each Spring at the Association's Annual meeting.  The town of Belchertown has a long and rich history - a story worth learning about today and of preserving for generations to come.

4 About the Historical Association
4 The Board of Trustees
4 The Annual Meeting of the BHA
4 About Belchertown, MA

About the Historical Association  
The Belchertown Historical Association was founded during March, 1903, for the preservation and exhibition of articles of historic interest on account of age or association with the past history of the town.  The first members set April 28th as the date for the annual meeting of the association, this being the date of the first legal town meeting in 1740.   The association very soon secured the use of a room in the basement of the Clapp Memorial Library for exhibition of its rapidly growing collection. There was a great deal of interest in preserving the early records and historical artifacts of the town. 

Mrs. Harriette Dwight Longley, one of the first Trustees, on her death in 1908 left her estate to furnish and maintain a permanent home for the Historical Association.  This was used to purchase the Stone House which was occupied for that purpose in 1922. This home was originally built in 1827 by Jonathan Dwight as a wedding gift for his daughter Julia Diantha.  Until it was acquired by the Association, it remained in related branches of the Dwight family for nearly a century.  


Museum Information

 Virtual Tours

Research
& Resources

 


About the   Historical Association and Belchertown 4


Make History
with Us

 

 

 

 

 


The Ford Annex, which houses carriages and other horse drawn vehicles, was built through the generosity of Henry Ford and dedicated in 1924. The printing office and equipment of Lewis Blackmer, editor and publisher of the Belchertown Sentinel was added later to the grounds.  

The Stone House Museum contains superb examples of furniture, china and decorative accessories made in the 1700s and 1800s.  Its textile collection contains samplers, early crewel work, linens, quilts and an extensive selection of period clothing. The archives contains a collection of early town and church documents, diaries, manuscripts, ledgers, genealogical records, military records, records of town organizations, early business establishments and a large collection of photographs.  History lives in the records of the past.  The Association still continues to pursue its original mission in collecting and preserving the history of Belchertown.


The Board of Trustees  2010 - 2011

President: Thomas Stockton    
Vice President: Florine Neggers
Vice President: Carol Mierzewski
Secretary: Peg Louraine
Treasurer: Linda Barron

Other Members of the Board:

Marueen Austin  
Tony Trifone

 James Chevalier

 
 Sally Shattuck
Denise Smith
 

Many thanks to ALL the dedicated members (current and past) who have served on the board!!
 



 

The Annual Meeting of the BHA  -
The "Call to the Meeting" of the Belchertown Historical Association is held on the 28th day of April in each year, or as close to this date as possible, as determined by the Trustees.  (The 28th day of April 1740 was the date of the first legal meeting ever held in Cold Spring.) At this meeting, members of the association elect Trustees and Offices of the Board; vote on any changes to the By-Laws and discuss any other business as is put forth on the agenda.


About Belchertown, MA
A summary of the history of the Town of Belchertown originally written in 1960 by Kenneth A. Dorey was revised in 2005 by Shirley Bock, Doris Dickinson and Dan Fitzpatrick specifically for the Town of Belchertown web site. Included are the following sections:Click here to go to the town website.

I.      THE BEGINNINGS
II.     EARLY SETTLEMENT
III.    THE   EARLY DAYS
IV.    THE TOWN GROWS
V.     EARLY INDUSTRY
VI.    MILITARY HISTORY
VII.   NOTABLE PEOPLE
VIII   HISTORIC HOMES
IX.    PLACES OF INTEREST
X.     EDUCATION THROUGH THE YEARS
XI.    BELCHERTOWN STATE SCHOOL
XII.   BELCHERTOWN WATER DISTRICT
XIII.  BELCHERTOWN SEWER DISTRICT
XIV.  NOTES

The Belchertown Historical Association
20
Maple Street (Route 202) PO Box 1211,
Belchertown, MA 01007-1211
(413) 323 6573
Info@StoneHouseMuseum.org

Copyright © 2007-2013 All rights reserved.
Last Update June 09, 2013

Visitor #  Belchertown Historical Association
Webmaster